Far from the Front

West Calder: A Scottish Village and the Great War

Email: jamesfanning@icloud.com

www.farfromthefront.co.uk

www.cauther.co.uk

T Steel

STEEL - killed in action on the 23rd April, Pte Thomas James Steel, beloved and only son of Thomas and Christina Steel, Station House, Addiewell, aged 19 years.

 

Midlothian Advertiser, 11th May, 1917

 

In Memory of

THOMAS JAMES STEEL

Private

40346

2nd Bn., Royal Scots Fusiliers

who died on

Monday, 23rd April 1917. Age 19.

 

Additional Information: Son of Thomas and Christina Steel, of Station House, Addiewell, Midlothian.

 

Commemorative Information

 

Cemetery:  BOOTHAM CEMETERY, HENINEL, Pas de Calais, France

Grave Reference/Panel Number:  D. 8.

 

Location: Heninel is a village in the Department of the Pas-de-Calais, 10 kilometres south-east of Arras and 3 kilometres south of the straight main road from Arras to Cambrai. Bootham Cemetery is a long row of graves, nearly 2 kilometres east of Heninel on the south side of the road to Cherisy. From Heninel centre take the Rue St Germain and then a 1 kilometre track to the cemetery.

 

Historical Information: Heninel village was captured on the 12th April, 1917, in a snowstorm, by the 56th (London) and 21st Division; and the 50th (Northumbrian) Division, advancing from Heninel on the two following days, captured Wancourt Tower. Bootham Cemetery was named from a trench, which in turn was named from Bootham School in Yorkshire. It was made in April, 1917, by the 56th Division Burial Officer. There are now nearly 200, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, over 70 are unidentified. One German grave has been removed to another cemetery. The Cemetery covers an area of 1,005 square metres and is enclosed by a rubble wall.

 

Note : 'Pte Steel enlisted on September 4th, 1914, and went to France in August of last year. He was scarcely 17 years of age when he enlisted, so keen was he to do his bit. Previous to enlisting he was employed as a goods clerk at the Lothian Road Goods Station, Edinburgh.'

 

Midlothian Advertiser, May 11th, 1917.