"We regret to announce the death of Private John McLinden of the Scots Guards, which took place in France. Private McLinden was a well known West Calder merchant and the sad news of his death cast quite a gloom over the village on Saturday night. Mrs McLinden last heard from her husband when he was at Ypres on 23rd October. He had been wounded in action after that date and died as a result of his injuries. Deceased served three years in the army and nine years in the reserve. He had only two months of his time to put in when the war broke out and was at once called to the colours. Private Mclinden leaves a wife and two young children, for whom much sympathy will be felt in their sad bereavement. Deceased had made many friends during his stay in the village and he was a highly esteemed member of St Mary's RC Church. We hope the public will not forget those whom the gallant soldier has left behind. It is all we can do to show that we appreciate that he has laid down his life in defence of our homes."
Midlothian Advertiser, 13th November 1914.
2nd Bn., Scots Guards
who died on
Friday, 23rd October 1914.
Cemetery: YPRES TOWN CEMETERY, Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Grave Reference/Panel Number: D1. 7.
Historical Information: Ypres (Ieper) was, from October, 1914, to the summer of 1918, the centre of a Salient held by the British (and for some months by the French) forces in Belgium. From April, 1915, it was bombarded and destroyed more completely than any other town of its size on the Western front. It was surrounded by ramparts and a moat; and from these, on its Eastern side, issued the road to Menin. The Menin Gate has been rebuilt as a Memorial to some of those who fell in the Salient and have no known graves; and close to the Menin Gate is the Town Cemetery, in which the British forces began to bury their dead in October, 1914. Ypres Town Cemetery was used by the British forces until February, 1915, and once again in 1918. There are now nearly 150, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. The British plots covers an area of 493 square metres. CWGC